The 1903 J. J. Binns organ on the South side of the Quire in St Stephen's, Rochester Row
The present organ was originally built in 1903 by J. J. Binns for St Thomas' Junction Road, Leith. It was inaugurated by the consultant, Alfred Hollins, and it became Binns' demonstration organ and the basis for other organs built by the company in the Edinburgh area.
The organ was installed in St Stephen's, Rochester Row by Andrew Cooper & Co. in 2012, and the inaugural recital was given on 25th April 2012 by James O'Donnell, Organist and Master of the Choristers at Westminster Abbey. There followed a recital series featuring Daniel Moult, Stephen Farr, and Rosemary Field.
The organ has 24 speaking stops across 2 manuals and pedals and Binns' patented tubular pneumatic key action. In 2012 the organ was awarded a Certificate of Recognition by the British Institute of Organ Studies for containing the "important archaeological material" of Binns' pipework and key action. Further details of the organ, including a full stop list, can be found on the relevant page of the National Pipe Organ Register here.
St Stephen’s Church, 42 Rochester Row, London, SW1P 1LE
Parish Office: St Stephen’s House, Hide Place, London SW1P 4NJ